The aim of this policy is to communicate the commitment of the Committee and members to the promotion of equality of opportunity in Age Concern Fakenham Area Minibus Service
It is our policy to provide equality of membership to all, irrespective of:
- gender, including gender reassignment
- marital or civil partnership status
- having or not having dependents
- religious belief or political opinion
- race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins)
- sexual orientation
We are opposed to all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination. All members of the organisation will be treated fairly and will not be discriminated against on any of the above grounds. Decisions on membership, selection for office, training or any other benefit will be made objectively, without unlawful discrimination, and based on aptitude and ability.
We recognise that the provision of equal opportunities in all our activities will benefit the organisation. Our equal opportunities policy will help members to develop their full potential and the talents and resources of the members will be utilised fully to maximise the effectiveness of the organisation.
Age Concern Fakenham Area Minibus Service recognises that there is a statutory duty to implement an equal opportunities policy. This policy applies to applicants for employment, volunteers and members of the group alike.
Age Concern Fakenham Area Minibus Service is committed to the principles and practice of Equality. Age Concern Fakenham Area Minibus Service values the diversity of the local population. We want our services, facilities and resources to be accessible and useful to all citizens according to our constitution regardless of gender, ethnic origin, religious belief, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other individual characteristic which may unfairly affect a person’s opportunities in life.
We are committed to:
- promoting equality of opportunity for all persons
- promoting a good and harmonious learning environment in which all men and women are treated with respect and dignity and in which no form of intimidation or harassment is tolerated
- preventing occurrences of unlawful direct discrimination, indirect discrimination, harassment and victimisation
- fulfilling all our legal obligations under the equality legislation and associated codes of practice
- complying with our own equal opportunities policy and associated policies
- taking lawful affirmative or positive action, where appropriate
- breaches of our equal opportunities policy will be regarded as misconduct and could lead to termination of membership
This policy is fully supported by the Committee and was adopted on xxth February 2015..
The Committee have specific responsibility for the effective implementation of this policy. We expect all members to abide by the policy and help to create the equality environment which is its objective.
In order to implement this policy we shall:
- Communicate the policy to members by issuing a copy of this policy to all existing, and new members
- Age Concern Fakenham Area Minibus Service will endeavour through appropriate training to ensure that it will not consciously, or unconsciously discriminate in the selection or recruitment of applicants for membership of the group
- Incorporate specific and appropriate duties in respect of implementing the equal opportunities policy into roles and responsibilities of committee members
- Incorporate equal opportunities notices into general communications practices (e.g. announcements, annual report at annual general meeting, notices and newsletters). This policy will be read out to all members at each annual general meeting
- Ensure that adequate resources are made available to fulfil the objectives of the policy
Monitoring and review
We will establish appropriate information and monitoring systems to assist the effective implementation of our equal opportunities policy. The effectiveness of the equal opportunities policy will be reviewed regularly (at least annually) and action taken as necessary.
Members who believe that they have suffered any form of discrimination, harassment or victimisation are entitled to raise the matter through the agreed procedures. A copy of these procedures is available from any Age Concern Fakenham Area Minibus Service committee member. All complaints of discrimination will be dealt with seriously, promptly and confidentially.
Every effort will be made to ensure that members who make complaints will not be victimised. Any complaint of victimisation will be dealt with seriously, promptly and confidentially. Victimisation will result in disciplinary action and may warrant dismissal.
Complaints from members of the public will be dealt with under agreed procedures (a copy of these procedures is available from any Age Concern Fakenham Area Minibus Service committee member.)